Press "Enter" to skip to content

How to apply for UK Temporary Worker – Tier 5 Charity Worker visa


The UK Tier 5 (T5) Charity Worker visa enables international volunteers to come to the UK on a temporary work basis and take up unpaid voluntary work in relation to the objectives of their UK sponsor.


To be eligible for a Temporary Worker – Charity Worker visa (T5) you need:

  • a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your UK sponsor
  • enough money to support yourself in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)

Certificate of sponsorship

A certificate of sponsorship is a unique reference number that holds information about the job you will do and your personal details. It is not a certificate or paper document.

Your sponsor will give you the certificate of sponsorship.

Your sponsor must also give you the information they used on your certificate about your job, for example your working hours.

Your sponsor must be recognised by the UK government to issue certificates of sponsorship.

Your certificate of sponsorship is valid for 3 months from the date it is assigned to you.

Multiple entry

Your sponsor can give you a multiple entry certificate of sponsorship so you can leave and return to the UK.

Money to support yourself

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK.

You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270

Your partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they’re in the UK. Check how much they’ll need.

Read the guidance on financial evidence for more information about the money you need and how to prove it.

If your employer can support you instead

Your certificate of sponsorship must confirm this. Your employer will need to complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ section on your certificate. This is under ‘Additional data’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *