The UK government is now making it easier to switch your current visa category to a Health and Care Worker visa if you want to, and meet the stipulated requirements for the Care Worker visa.
According to the UK government press releases:
You might be able to apply to change (‘switch’) to a Health and Care Worker visa if you’re already in the UK on a different type of visa.
Your partner or children will need to apply separately.
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
You must meet the following requirements:
Who cannot apply to switch to this visa
You cannot apply to switch to this visa if you’re currently in the UK:
- on a visit visa
- on a short-term student visa
- on a Parent of a Child Student visa
- on a seasonal worker visa
- on a domestic worker in a private household visa
- on immigration bail
- because you were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds
You must leave the UK and apply for a Health and Care Worker visa from abroad if you’re in one of these categories.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for as long as your employer is sponsoring you for, up to 5 years at a time. Your certificate of sponsorship will say how long your employer is sponsoring you for.
Check how much it costs for your type of visa.
You may also need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
Proving your identity and providing supporting documents
As part of your application you’ll need to prove your identity.
How you do this depends on where you’re from and the type of passport you have.
- give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point – this is to get a biometric residence permit
- use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document – you’ll also create or sign in to your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
Apply to switch to a Health and Care Worker visa
You must apply online before your current visa expires.
Apply for a Skilled Worker visa. You’ll be asked if you’re applying for a Health and Care Worker visa as part of your application – make sure you choose ‘yes’.
Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.
How long it takes to get a decision
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application will take longer, for example because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction
You may be able to pay to get a faster decision – you’ll be told if you can when you apply.
After you apply
If you need to change something in your application after you’ve sent it contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
You can ask to cancel your application. You’ll only get your fee refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.
You’ll get an email or a letter containing the decision on your application. This will explain what you need to do next.
To apply and get started, click HERE.